Mee Pok (Flat Egg Noodles) with Beef and Bittergourd

 



In all my years of eating and cooking, I have only recently embraced bittergourd into my cooking repertoire. I was visiting my mum and she was wondering what to do with the leftover roast pork she had in the fridge. She suggested doing a stir-fried bittergourd with roast pork dish, which I've heard of but never tried before. I can't remember if she ever cooked that during my childhood, but back then, I shunned anything that had bittergourd in it. I was a picky eater when I was young. Dare I admit that I never ate my veggies until I was in my late teens. Okay, my kids don't have to know this. Really.

Anyway, back to the bittergourd. I decided to use beef instead of roast pork in this dish, cooked with salted black beans. To make it a one-dish meal, I tossed it with some flat egg noodles (we call this Mee Pok in Singapore, though I'm not sure why) and added a splash of black vinegar, and it turned out to be a most slurp-worthy and delicious bowl of noodles.

Mee Pok (Flat Egg Noodles) with Beef and Bittergourd
(serves 2-3)

Ingredients

1 medium-sized bittergourd
Vegetable oil for frying
200g beef, thinly sliced
1 tbsp black beans, minced to a paste
2 tsp salted soy beans, minced to a paste
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped red chillies (optional)
1 tbsp Chinkiang black vinegar (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped scallions/spring onions
Sriracha or chilli sauce (optional)

300g flat egg noodles ("mee pok"), cooked in boiling water until al dente

Seasoning (combine in a bowl):
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp Cheong Chan thick caramel
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
4 tbsp water

Beef marinade:
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
Dash of black pepper
Pinch of salt and sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp water

Method

Cut bittergourd lengthwise into quarters. Remove the seeds and scrape off the spongy white part (as this is the bitter part). Slice into 6mm-thick pieces. Sprinkle with salt, set aside for 1/2 hour. Then squeeze out all the water. Rinse the bittergourd and drain well. Blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes until just tender but not too soft. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.

Combine beef with marinade. Set aside for 20 minutes.

Heat up 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Fry the beef on high heat for 3 minutes until almost cooked. Dish out and set aside.

Heat up 1 tbsp oil in the wok. Fry the minced black beans and soy beans, followed by the garlic and chillies. Add the bittergourd and fry for 1 minute. Push these to the side of the wok and add seasoning ingredients and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the beef and fry briskly to coat in the sauce. Toss the noodles in the wok and add a splash of black vinegar, more or less to taste. Add a dash of pepper, and salt to taste.  Dish out into individual serving plates and garnish with chopped scallions.  Serve immediately with  chilli sauced if desired.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Roast Duck Salad

Best Ever Italian Almond Cookies

Pad Thai with Prawn and Pork